Monday 27 August 2012

Comedy of Errors

Some of my close friends know me very well. They know that I cant spell any word longer than three letter, with hundred percent confidence. Thanks to the spell checks on almost all computer applications that I am able to write these blogs.

I don't know why it happens but I often spell 'with' with 'withe'. I have wasted a lot of time on the word 'waste'. I sometime spell it 'vaste' some other times 'wast'. Receiving the wisdom from Somdeb made me realize that I am almost always wrong in spelling 'receive'. Its almost always 'recieve'.

It was tough to spell 'though' though I could spell 'tough' very well. May be that was the problem, I used to interchange them  absent mindedly.

The problem is/was not just with spelling words. I often interchange the words in well known phrases. For example, 'tongue of slip', 'thought of trains'. Fortunately, the problem never came to the point that I misspelled single letter words. Though when I first came to Matscience, Chennai, one of the prof asked me to write 'm' on the board and I asked him "can you please spell it for me?". (In my defence, the south Indian pronunciation  for 'm' is 'yamm'. So I was confused why is he asking me to write some meaningless word on the wall.)

Anyway, the point of this post is to advertise an interesting website I stumbled upon today. Its called 'Common error in English usage'. I hope some of you (whoever is jobless) find some use of it.

Live long and prosper!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment